For Contra Costa County Public Works Department Bethel Island Roads Flooding/Cross Culverts Issues
Call 925 313-7000 or download the Mobile Citizens app at:
MISSION STATEMENT: The Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District, through the elected Board of Directors and Staff, will serve the people of Bethel Island by responding to the needs and concerns of the public by allocating the available resources to maintain a safe and secure levee system, by maintaining a free flowing drainage system and by creating and maintaining a park and recreation facility.
The Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District (BIMID) was formed in the early 1960's by the California State Legislature. The Island is not a city and thus has to rely on a combination of private and county public services.BIMID is a special act district that has powers similar to a city. BIMID currently provides levee maintenance and repairs, habitat mitigation, park services, as well as storm drain maintenance and repair.
- Monday - Friday: 9:00 am to 3:30 pm
- Thursday, Dec 24 - Office Closed
- Friday, Dec 25 - Office Closed
- Saturday, Dec 26 - Office Closed
- Sunday, Dec 27 - Office Closed
- Monday, Dec 28 - Office Closed
- Tuesday, Dec 29 - Office Closed
- Wednesday, Dec 30 - Office Closed
- Thursday, Dec 31 - Office Closed
- Friday, Jan 1 - Office Closed
- New Year's Day: January 1
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: 3rd Monday in January
- President's Day: 3rd Monday in February
- Memorial Day: Last Monday in May
- Independence Day: July 4
- Labor Day: 1st Monday in September
- Thanksgiving: 4th Thursday in November and Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Day: December 25
- The Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District was created by the California State Legislature in 1960 and absorbed Reclamation District 1619.
- The acreage was described as 3516.54 acres in the unincorporated territory of Contra Costa County.
- It is an island below sea level of 7 to 15 feet surrounded by 11.5 miles of earthen levee that keeps the Taylor, Piper, Dutch and Sandmound Slough waters out.
- Access to Bethel Island is by boat or the new bridge on the south side that connects Bethel Island Road to Cypress Road to Highway 4 in Oakley.
- Funding for the District is ad valoreum tax collected by the County that is used to compete for State funding from the Dept. of Water Resources.
- Work is handled by one full time equipment operator and two (2) secretaries, one full time and one part time, plus the 5 elected directors.
- The main function is to improve and maintain the levee system and then to keep the drainage system adequate to remove seepage and rain water.