The Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District, through the elected Board of Directors and Staff, will serve the people of Bethel Island by responding to the needs and concerns of the public by allocating the available resources to maintain a safe and secure levee system, by maintaining a free flowing drainage system and by creating and maintaining a park and recreation facility.
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a General Election will be held in the Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District, County of Contra Costa, State of California, on Tuesday, November 4, 2014 for the election of: two (2) Directors.
The qualifications of a nominee and of an elective officer of the above district are as follows:
Any person who is 18 years or older, a citizen, a resident of the district, a registered voter, and who is not disqualified by the Constitution or laws of the state from holding a civil office is eligible to be elected or appointed.
Nomination petitions may be obtained from the County Clerk, Elections Division, 555 Escobar Street, Martinez, California commencing on July 14, 2014 and shall be filed with the Elections Division not later than 5:00 P.M., August 8, 2014.
Appointment to each elective office will be made as prescribed by section 10515 of the Elections Code in the event there are no nominees for such office, and a petition for an election is not filed within the time period prescribed in the Elections Code.
Polls will be open Election Day between 7:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M.
NOTICE OF REORGANIZATION – 2013
Newly appointed member of the Board of Directors of Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District, Dann Myers (appointed by the Board of Supervisors) and elected was Robert Amrine in December 2012.
At the February 21, 2013 Regular Meeting of the Board of Directors of Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District, Election of Officers was conducted and the following Directors’ assignments are now effective:
|President||Anthony Berzinas||Term Expires 2016|
|Vice President||Dennis Eisenbeis||Term Expires 2016|
|Secretary||Robert Amrine||Term Expires 2016|
|Treasurer||Torena Quinn||Term Expires 2014|
|Director||Bruce Smith||Term Expires 2014|
Regular Board of Directors meetings are held at 3085 Stone Road, Bethel Island, CA unless otherwise noted. The meetings are held on the third Thursday of each month, except in December hich is held the second week of the month.
Contact for Directors: Denece Bixby, Secretary
PLEASE KEEP YOUR LEVEE CLEAN AND FREE OF WEEDS
Spread the word, tell your neighbors!!! “Do the deed and remove the weeds!”
- The Bethel Island Municipal Improvement District was created by the California State Legislature in 1960 and absorbed Reclamation District 1619.
- The acreage was described as 3516.54 acres in the unincorporated territory of Contra Costa County.
- It is an island below sea level of 7 to 15 feet surrounded by 11.5 miles of earthen levee that keeps the Taylor, Piper, Dutch and Sandmound Slough waters out.
- Access to Bethel Island is by boat or the new bridge on the south side that connects Bethel Island Road to Cypress Road to Highway 4 in Oakley.
- Funding for the District is ad valoreum tax collected by the County that is used to compete for State funding from the Dept. of Water Resources.
- Work is handled by one full time equipment operator and two (2) secretaries, one full time and one part time, plus the 5 elected directors.
- The main function is to improve and maintain the levee system and then to keep the drainage system adequate to remove seepage and rain water.